Saturday, July 4, 2009

Psalms

Kyrgyzstan is absolutely amazing.

We arrived around 3am early Sunday morning in Kazakhstan (spending our 4th of July in London. Probably the most unsafe place to spend a 4th of July as Americans...) and then took a short quick flight to the Manas International Airport in Kyrgyzstan, right outside its capital, Bishkek.

The entire country pretty much rests on a mountain range, with snow-capped mountains year-round. The airport (and actually where our apartments are) is in the flat "valleys", so it was a peaceful, scenic drive from some native Kyrgyz m-workers. Big G really took care of me too. As soon as we got off the place I got hassled by all these Kyrgyz men. They just bum-rushed me. At first I thought they were just trying to help. But then I thought "what a bunch of thugs". And then I thought "maybe they think I'm Michael Jordan." I was wearing a Nike shirt. =)

Surprisingly the people here aren't giving me too many double-takes. There were a couple construction workers that literally stopped what they were doing when I walked past them and stared at me. I mean stared... like... mad-dogged me until I was out of their sight. If I hadn't had such love from Big G and His teaching of who I was in His sun's eyes, I might've been offended. But I think most people aren't too amazed - there are a lot of tourists in the capital. Perhaps when we get to the villages it will be a whole new adventure.

I'm just sittin' at an Internet Cafe, unable to access Yahoo!... so e-mails will come soon. Everything on this computer is in Russian, but I'm startin' to get it down. It's prettty fun to read and it really isn't that hard! A lot of Greek letters. But the capital and the countryside is beautiful. I'll see if I can go into much detail next entry... as well as the first few days of teaching Greetings to the eccentric Russian kids. I only got so much time so, I'm out.

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. hey brian! :)
    i was wondering if im still allowed to send u the support money since July 1st already passed.
    I know this is random, but is anyone taking your mattress when you move out from your apartment? if no one is going to take it, do you think that i can have it because I will probably need it for next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, this is tammy her. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brian,

    Sounds like your first day was pretty exciting, the scenery beautiful. Probably not to many tourists in that part of the world who share your features, but its looks like you'll get use to that real quick given the source of your inspiration. I hope you are well received in the small towns.

    ReplyDelete